Mikaela Perry: Snow Tubing... and then some!


In the past, I would commonly hold myself back from taking positions of leadership and getting to know people outside of my friend group. Most of this was simply from fear of stepping out of my comfort zone, so when I first joined Setons, I set a few goals for myself. My first goal was that I was going to run for an executive position, and my second was that I was going to make my best effort to get to know the other Setons in the organization. Being a member of Setons was a big deal to me and I felt like by trying to accomplish these two goals I would be able to make the most of the opportunity I was given.
At the beginning of the year, I was voted in as one of the social chairs, meaning I would work with the other social chair to organize fun activities for all the Setons to do and grow through throughout the year. As life got busy towards the end of the year, the other social chair and I began to take turns organizing events and I decided to organize our most recent event of snow tubing at Mount Spokane! Since all the Setons were excited about the event and had been looking forward to it all year, I really felt myself step up to make it happen. I asked businesses for availability, figured out pricing and location, looked into road conditions, and figured out the puzzle that is transporting for 30 girls! When we finally arrived at the top of the mountain and began taking pictures and seeing how many Setons we could fit on a snow tube, I saw all my hard work pay off and felt proud of my growth as leader in the organization. This experience was the perfect first step I needed to take in order to grow in my confidence as I work toward building my career.
It wasn’t until our drive back to campus, while we were listening to Jonas Brothers throw backs and talking about of favorite memories from the year, that I realized how close I have grown with all the girls around me, none of which I knew before Setons. The joy I felt in that moment was unlike any joy I had felt before. The love and support I received throughout my endeavor to create the event was tremendous and it helped me realize that these girls would be by my side long after our time as Setons has pasted.

P.S- If you were wondering, we fit 22 Setons on a snow tube, a Mount Spokane record.

Mikaela Perry
Setons Social Chair 2017-18


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Molly Burns: This week as a Seton!

Laura Ackerson: Reflection on Selections!

Annalise Ellefsen: On Leadership!