Mady Becker: All Together Through Service


As I went through this week thinking about what I wanted to write for the blog, I immediately became inspired by my mentoring session with Shawnel along with Laura and Clare and their mentees, Andrew and Sam, respectively. Each and every week brings something new with our mentees and I truly am astounded by the amount of love and support we receive from this Artisans community.
                                 
With that being said, I took a bit of a back seat this week while volunteering to notice some of the little details going on in the background. We all started out coloring and making cards for some of the important people in our lives. Sam made some cards for his parents, Shawnel made a card for both her mom and sister, and Clare, Laura, and I made cards for our families, friends, and some other Seton sisters! Andrew worked on a necklace for one of his best friends, Becky, as a gift to wish her good luck in their ice-skating tournament the upcoming weekend for Special Olympics. Then, we transitioned into a game of cat themed Monopoly, or Catopoly, which was super fun! What really blew me away though was the good sportsmanship and support shown for others. Typically, Monopoly is one of those games that can become competitive and all about who has the most wealth and money! It was such a breath of fresh air to see our mentees and mentors interacting so kindly and respectfully.

And yes, this is just making cards and Monopoly! At least that is what it seems like on the surface. Dig a little deeper and you come to find that these mentors and mentees are some of the kindest and sweetest souls. I look to our mentees and hope for myself that I can learn to become more like them; constantly thinking of others before themselves with nothing but an open heart.
I am very much a person who appreciates the little things in life, and this past week with Artisans was full of those little details that make me oh so happy! Laura and Clare have such servant hearts and all of our mentees demonstrated their compassion and thoughtfulness for others during our session. I am so proud and honored to be a part of an organization that helps to bring out the best in people. Usually when people look to Setons and our relationship with Artisans they have the tendency to think that we are doing a service for them. I would very much advocate and argue for the latter; I believe that the Artisan clients are doing a service for us. The greater us, I might add, in this Spokane community. We are all doing this actively with others, for others, and through our pillar of service. Our relationship with Artisans really exemplifies what it means to be all together through service, and I have seen myself grow and transform into a stronger advocate for the service of others through working with our mentees. Thank you, Artisans!

Much love,
Mady

Setons 2017-2018


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Molly Burns: This week as a Seton!

Laura Ackerson: Reflection on Selections!

Annalise Ellefsen: On Leadership!