Juliet Novis: This Week With Artisans!

This semester, my Monday afternoons have absolutely full of love. My mentee, Kanaan, has taught me compassion, to forgive mistakes and how to appreciate a brand new deck of cards. Walking into Artisans each week to eleven smiling mentees waiting to tell us anything and everything has brought me inexplicable joy.

I have found that there is a real sense of a family community among the mentees at Artisans. They know each other’s likes and dislikes, and are quick to tell the mentors when one of their friends is running late. Their genuine care for each other and love of life is a gentle reminder to slow down from our hectic academic schedules.

Soon after meeting my mentee, Kanaan, I instantly realized what a rewarding experience this would be. Kanaan immediately told me that checkers is his favorite game because he likes to strategize. The first time we played, he beat me pretty badly. I’m slowly improving thanks to the tips Kanaan gives me, but I need to keep practicing.

Kanaan has also been teaching me his new favorite card game and has even let us play with his new deck of cards. He has been so patient when I forget the rules and has always politely reminded me of them. Kanaan’s selfless and generous heart have been an inspiration to me.  

At the beginning of the year, Kanaan told me that he wants to work on skills together that will help him get his first job. We decided to work on interacting with other mentoring pairs and making decisions. We have been able to practice these skills at our trip to the pumpkin patch and our bowling outing!

This holiday season, I am so grateful for Monday afternoons. I am grateful for each and every Artisans mentee and for how they have graciously let us into their lives. I feel so blessed to have a mentee who has renewed my childhood love for checkers and who inspires me to be a better person each week. I have a heart full of love for the Artisans mentoring program and I could not be happier to be serving Spokane alongside 29 sweet sisters.
                                            
Juliet Novis
Setons 2017-18

Chaplain Chair

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Molly Burns: This week as a Seton!

Laura Ackerson: Reflection on Selections!

Annalise Ellefsen: On Leadership!