Kayla Kim: This Week With Artisans!

This week I learned a whole lot about what love looks like through my mentee, Misty! Due to some scheduling complications, this Wednesday was my first time meeting Misty. She greeted me with a huge smile and a high-five, exclaiming, “Let’s get this thing started!” As we strolled into the room, she took a seat and looked at me in anticipation. I asked her how her weekend was, and before I knew it we were chatting about everything from siblings to Halloween candy to bowling. We quickly found our mutual love for the Zags-happily chanting “Go Zags!” in unison and at the randomest times. We started working on our cards, and Misty was consistently kind-happily contributing suggestions along the way and cheering me on after I finished a card. For our LifePrint photo, we stood against the wall and gave our best “smolder”-Misty made it clear that I had it in me to be America’s Next Top Model. Once our cards were finished, we played an exhilarating round of “Pop the Pig”, a nerve-wracking game including feeding a pig with tokens and anticipating its noisy pop. We then started a game of Disney Sorry!, in which Misty’s positivity, joy, and kindness was evident in every round. Early on in the game, she was struggling to get out of the “Start” zone-every card she picked was exactly the one she didn’t need. She quickly reassured me, telling me that she’d get it next time or that it was okay. She was patient all the way through, never complaining or having an unkind word to say. Even in a competitive game like Sorry!, in which most players enjoy getting other players out out to get home, Misty was selfless. Various times throughout the game Misty had an opportunity to send me back to the Start! or to swap places with me, each time insisting that she wanted to “be nice” and that because I was her mentor she wanted to “respect me” Her idea of love was nothing big, nothing extravagant, just patient, kind, and consistent. I hope to bring more of Misty’s kind of love into my life and spread it to those around me!


Kayla Kim
Setons 2017-18

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Molly Burns: This week as a Seton!

Laura Ackerson: Reflection on Selections!

Annalise Ellefsen: On Leadership!